Sunday, September 2, 2012

Forgotten Chicken

FORGOTTEN CHICKEN
It doesn't look like much, but damn is it good.
What you will need:
  • 4-6 chicken breasts (skinless, boneless)
  • 1 packet onion soup mix
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 1 can cream of celery soup
  • 2 cups minute rice
  • 1 can water
What you will need to do:
  1. Mix the two cans of soup, the can of water, and the rice together 
  2. Butter pan well
  3. Pour rice mixture into pan, spread out evenly
  4. Place chicken breasts on top of rice mixture
  5. Sprinkle onion soup mixture on top of chicken/rice evenly
  6. Cover with aluminum foil (very important!)
  7. This is where the name "Forgotten Chicken" comes into play. You have two options:
    1. Bake at 275 for 3 hours or until chicken is totally cooked
    2. Bake at 350 for 1-1.5 hours or until chicken is totally cooked
  8. Remove from over, scoop, nosh.

So, about this chicken. I was skeptical, but I needed something that I could throw together, put in the oven and forget about so that I could tend to other important things. I thought this would be a sloppy, mushy mess.It wasn't. The rice was perfectly cooked and tender, the chicken was crazy moist and flavorful, and the flavor balance was just right. I made this for the family dinner we hosted tonight and everyone loved it. I personally felt it was very good, but what I really appreciate is how simple it was to make. It was just as simple as mixing a few things together and throwing it in the oven.

I served this with a salad and the Garlic Parmesan Pull Apart Bread (refer to previous posts). It was a fantastic combination and I look forward to making this in the future. 

Enjoy!
-E-
 

1 comment: